This is a page full of my personal projects. Over time I will develop each project until I am happy with them. You can find dates of each update alongside more information on what I wish to do with each project. Including what I like and dislike about each.
Ricks Portal Gun
In my own time, I have been attempting to broaden my knowledge with regard to Maya and its 3D modelling tools, this brought me to creating a 3D model of a device from Rick and Morty. The object I decided to create was Ricks portal gun from the series and in an attempt to keep it as close to the original as possible I also attempted to create a form of cell shading with varied results.
I first got the main shape of the device and extrude, bevelled, deformed and smoothed different areas till it represented the shape of the device. Once this was done I began to create the small add-on objects such as the red name screen which I used booleans to remove the section as well as the multi-cut tool to create some edges and then the indent. I also made the glowing green tube by extruding a few time and moved them closer to each other before merging it the centre at the top.
Once that I was done I began to texture the model, I did this by using the simple colours that Maya offers and changing the different settings in the hypershade window such as the transparency, incandescence and ambient colour. As for creating the cell shading like lines around the object I simply inserted edge loops or bevelled some edges to give me a small area to work with to place lines over it with a texture, not entirely being defined as cell shading but more of a fake look for it.
Overall I feel that the different tools and techniques I have used to both create and texture the model helped me to further develop my skills with Maya, the model will still need some further development until I am entirely happy with the result. I feel that going forward I can more confidently use theses different tools in Maya to help me improve upon my models.
For my first personal project, I decided to attempt to create a rough, 3D, platforming game in unity. Using the what I had learned in my Unity Walking Simulator. To help me begin construction of a 3D world with a player and objects.
I started by creating a small white platform for the player to start on, then going on to import the RigidBody for the player to actually be controlled. At this point, I was unsure about the layout for the game, so I went over to Maya and began to model a key as I knew that I would need a key to open a door.
After modeling the key and importing it into Unity, I began to create some more platforms for the player to jump to, placing the key on the furthest one away and making a way for the player to go back.
So far I am happy with how the skeleton of my game is starting to look, I will continue to update this post with more information on the development of this game.
Aku Aku 3D Model
So I decided to undertake a personal project using the program Maya. When think about possible objects or characters that I could model my mind went to the game series Crash Bandicoot and the small mask that goes with Crash on his journey named Aku Aku. I decided to go with Aku Aku as his design was simple but challenging having me create a flat triangular body but add more detail into things like cuts take from the mask or smaller missable face details.
Firstly, when creating the model I started with a simple cube and enlarged it to fit a suitable size for my model, I then switched to vertex view and adjusted the two bottom corners to get a similar shape to that of the character. The next step was to create the two indents on the top of the character, I did this by inserting edge loops and moving them around. I then added in the basic shapes of the eyes, eyebrows and mouth before unwrapping them.
I then stopped to texture as I didn’t feel like it was going too well so I wanted to make sure, after using multiple textures to add onto the character, I got a combination that I felt worked. Once the main face was textured I decided to change a couple of things to better suit the style, These were small things that made a big difference such as moving the eyebrows to better suit the image I was using, I also moved the tip of the nose outwards to give it a more 3D effect.
After creating the main face I started work on the leaf ‘beard’ and feather ‘hair’ these were the most difficult as they were unusual shapes that I had to create from scratch, this also meant they were difficult to unwrap and texture but after messing around with the vertices, I decided upon some shapes that I liked and felt worked with the style I had for the character.
Once fully modeled, unwrapped and textured. I began to use the lighting, Using three-point lighting I placed the key light which was an intense spotlight, I then added two fill lights one to highlight the shadows and another with a blue tint to highlight the character with a blue glow, I also created a blue-tinted backlight, I did this as I wanted my background to be the iconic blue portal from the Crash Bandicoot series and I wanted to look like the portal was bouncing off the character.
Overall I am happy with how my character has come out, I feel starting with a simple character was the right decision as it helps me to work up to more difficult challenges in the future. I also feel picking a character from a game series I know and love also helped in his creation as it made me go back and redo entire sections as I wanted it to look as good as possible as it would be resembling the game.