The feedback on my project, while being mostly positive, still came with a few additions and improvement this is just a short update to show the improvements I have included so far as well as what I will need to do for next weeks final submission.
The feedback on this project was as follows:
Modelling: You’ve done a very good job with this project Luke! Your models look accurate to real life and feel genuine objects rather than 3d imitations. You’ve used primitive shapes well to create the basic shapes for your models and used multiple edgeloops to add detail to these. Try to round some shapes more such as the surfboard by adding more loops to the centre and pulling these out to create the shapes you need. Try to bevel hard edges to add a subtle highlight to hard surfaces. Continue to try and model more compelx shapes using the same processes, such as attempting the dog under your T.V. or the robot on the shelf!
Texturing: Your texturing really adds a lot to your models. It adds the detail it needs to let us believe the objects are real. I like how you have textured additional detail into your models without actually modelling it, such as the gumball machine. Experiment with shaders more to make some parts shinier than others – for example your drawyer handles are super shiny but in your model they look a very similar material to the wood.
Rendering: You’ve experimented really well with this. I love how you have attempted to include different times of day to create a different feel. Work on the softness of spotlight edges so that they are not as hard. Some objects should have more of a shadow in daylight too – this will make them look more grounded and realistic. Continue to experiment with both lights and shadows, remember light linking can help you control the lights in a scene more.
Overall: You’ve done an outstanding job on this project Luke, you’ve clearly worked very hard, I am very impressed. I love how you have presented your work as well – stiving for proffessionalism is great to see. Your skills are developing quickly so please continue to challenge yourself and attempt even more difficult assets with both modelling and texturing. Well done Luke, you should be very proud!
The list of things below were improvements I needed to complete and tick next to them shows if they have been met at this point.
- Render 3 models in wireframe ✔
- Create a model of bobblehead dog ✔
- Create model of Robo Sapien ✔
- Make draw handles more reflective ✘
- Create a more atmospheric scene using lighting ✘
The first improvement I set out was of the dog model, I decided to start with this as I had already intended for the dog to be in the scene but did not have enough time to finish a satisfactory model for my room and I still had some legs left over. The image below is a render of the dog.
The next improvement I started to work on was of rendering the three wireframe models I needed the wireframes to put on my showcases for my room project, The reasons theses needed changing were because when making my showcases I did not know how to render wireframe models as it required some plugins that I did not have or know how to use. Although after some research and a lot of trial and error I managed to produce three renders of my models in wireframe.
The final update for this post is the Robot model from my room, this model has so far proved to be one of the more difficult items to model, The model is still unfinished and still needs textures to be added to it, alongside the model of the robot I have also created the remote that goes with it.
Going forward I will be adding in some textures to my robot model as well as adding a PhongE texture type instead of a blinn to my draw handles, I will also be improving the lighting in my scene. As well as this I will also add some smaller details to my room that were missed in photos such as items on top of my wardrobe and some other finer details. I will show the rest of theses improvements once I submit the final update post.